A blog about writing . . . and a lot of other things

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Give it a second!

I wanted to share this video clip with you.  It's Louis C.K. from an interview with Conan O'Brien.


He's got a great point that we live in this amazing time and nobody seems to appreciate it.  We expect so much out of everything.  We feel like life owes us.  It's absurd.

So, your homework for today is to think about what is deeply awesome about the world we live in and spend a little time being amazed.

I'll start:

  • Sliced bread.  Seriously.  I hate slicing bread.
  • Microwaves.  I don't need to explain, right?
  • Internet.  There are so many people I have contact with that I wouldn't were it not for the Internet.  I may not have any direct contact with them, but through Facebook I can at least spy on them.
  • Antibiotics.  Because it's really neat that we don't all easily get sick and die.
  • Electricity.  Because it's very dark in Oregon in the winter time.
  • Telecommuting.  Oh, yeah.  I work in slippers.  I listen to my own music and eat in my own kitchen and take breaks in my own home.  I can move laundry over when I need to.  
  • Modern Plumbing.  Because pit toilets are disgusting and life's too long to live without hot showers.
  • Public School.  I am so glad that I'm not expected to try to teach my kids everything myself.  I'm one smart cookie, but I can't remember any history to save my life.
  • Olive oil, crusty loaves of bread, butter, red wine, chocolate, etc.  Another thing I really don't need to explain.
How about you?  What is deeply awesome about modern life?

No comments:

Post a Comment