A blog about writing . . . and a lot of other things

Saturday, June 23, 2012

And in this corner . . .

Everybody knows that married people fight sometimes.  Let's be real.  Anytime you are living with another human being there will be occasional fights unless you don't pay any attention to each other at all.

The crazy thing about fighting with my husband, though, is that it's so stupid.  We don't fight about important things like money or the kids.  No, we usually fight about really awesome things like fighting.

Here is an excerpt from an imaginary fight:

"I don't want to go and leave you alone."
"No, you should go."
"And you won't feel bad?"
"No, not at all."
"Okay, then I'll go."
"Fine."
"Are you mad?"
"Of course I'm not mad.  I told you to go."
"You sound mad."
"Well, now I'm mad at you because you won't stop telling me I'm mad."
"I'm only saying you're mad because you're acting mad."
"Stop yelling at me."
"I'm not yelling!"
"Yes, you are!  Stop yelling.  You are so unfair.  I haven't done anything to deserve being yelled at!"
"Now you're yelling!"
"You yelled first!"
"I did not!"
"I'm not talking to you if you're going to yell like this!"

The fights are even more fun if one of us is hungry.  We've learned from experience that it's important to keep regular mealtimes because I, for one, am completely unreasonable if my tummy is empty.  Indeed, sometimes our best fights are because we take too long to figure out what to have for dinner.  That's why it's important to have something in the house that you can easily throw together into a meal while you're still muttering under your breath and slamming things.

In an ideal world, I suppose that there would never be any fighting at all, but that's just not possible.  We're people and people are emotional and often (if hungry) unreasonable.  The thing to remember is that fighting does not mean that you don't love each other.  Let it burn out fast, laugh about how stupid it is, and get on to the forgiving and forgetting part.

Now let's hope Jacob isn't mad at me for this blog post.


"Perhaps I did not always love him so well as I do now.  But in such cases as these, a good memory is unpardonable.  This is the last time I shall ever remember it myself."  
- Elizabeth Bennet, Pride and Prejudice

No comments:

Post a Comment