A blog about writing . . . and a lot of other things

Monday, July 29, 2013

Where Have You Been, Young Lady?

My father-in-law has been getting on my case for not blogging recently.  He's right that I have not blogged at all this year.  I started to a few times, but then I . . . didn't.

So for Woody and my other five followers here is my list of excuses for why I have not been blogging in 2013:

I did not make a resolution in 2013 to blog.  

I'm very big on goal setting as a way to accomplish things, and without a specified goal I tend to not do anything at all.  You want to know what I did resolve to do in 2013?  I resolved not to dye my hair, figuring that was an easy one that I could succeed at.  It's kind of like writing "brush teeth" on my to do list in the morning, sometimes even if I already have.  It's important to have a sense of accomplishment.

I was discouraged by the lingering divisiveness from the 2012 election.  

I'm not actually kidding about this.  All the venomous political chatter makes me want to abandon social media and live in a hobbit hole somewhere.  I'd written an additional post on the topic, and Jacob told me it just made me sound like a judgmental jerk.  There's already enough of that out there, so I deleted it.

I actually have a day job.
One of my 2013 resolutions was to put a little more of my time and mental energy into my work.  With all the health issues of the last few years, my job had taken a back burner, but those excuses are fading.  I figured I'd actually work kind of like a normal person for a change.

I didn't feel well.

I don't get to eat any of this.
Despite having put some health issues behind me (pun intended, for those who know what I was dealing with), I've been sick this year.  I was sick enough to pursue alternative medicine, something I've been skeptical of.  The good news is that I got some answers and am feeling better.  The bad news is I can't eat any of the foods that make life worth living.  

Am I going to be blogging again now?  I originally blogged to give myself some writing practice.  I stuck with it because of my new year's resolution.

So here are questions for you, my readers (all five of you) that have encouraged me to continue:

  1. Why should I blog?  I'm not going to do it as a sad ploy for attention.
  2. What on earth is my blog about?  Is it a humor blog?  Telling myself my goal is to be funny sounds like the fastest way to never write another funny thing ever.  

So let me know what you think, and I might just write more than one post in 2013.

2 comments:

  1. Amy, you have a very good mind, that happens to be able to look at situations quite differently than some people. I think a lot of us need to have our minds challenged a little now and then to keep us on our toes. I like reading your writings because;
    #1: Most of what you write is spelled correctly, punctuated properly, and makes sense.
    #2: You have a good knack for picking subjects that are interesting and thought provoking.
    #3: Your writings inspire others to ponder the subject, make comments now and then, and I don't think anybody feels as though they will be ostracized for not totally agreeing with you.
    #4: You're my niece, and I am so proud when you publish your thoughts.

    There. Now you know how some of us feel about you continuing to write. Please don't ever stop. You can slow down because you are being pulled in other directions, but please don't just quit writing.
    Thanks for reading.
    Love,
    Ted

    ReplyDelete