A blog about writing . . . and a lot of other things

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Looking on the bright side

I was just reading my cousin's blog, and her optimism in the face of a very unpleasant experience was so overwhelming to me that I just have to share it with you.  Some of you already know that she was diagnosed a couple of months ago with breast cancer.  She's young and healthy, so it's quite a shock.

Although most of the news throughout the process has been good, recently she found out that she will, in fact, have to have chemotherapy.  This is a blow.  Chemotherapy is never pleasant.  However, she has a great attitude, and I am encouraged by her strength.

Here's her take on it:

I've had to remind myself today of some of the positives in all of this.

  • That this is happening in the fall/winter months. I feel like I would be sad missing out on so much summer fun. 
  • I have health insurance which goes right along with my job and wonderful co-workers who have been so supportive of me. 
  • I'm thankful that I have already been considering cutting my hair...now I can get rid of all of my split ends! I've also heard that sometimes your hair comes back in different, like curly, or something fun like that. 
  • I have a wonderful team of doctors taking care of me.
  • I only need 8 chemo treatments, it could be worse. 
  • I have excellent friends who are riding Chevy for me while I'm out of commission. 
  • And finally I have wonderful family support. 
I'm sure there are SO many more things that I should add but I'm tired and can't think straight anymore. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment