A blog about writing . . . and a lot of other things

Monday, August 6, 2012

Setting the bar too high

Doing something well is dangerous.  Why?  Because people then expect that level of excellence out of you.  For example, over the last couple of years I worked part time and took several leaves from work for various and sundry surgeries.  Being stuck at home may get other people addicted to soap operas (do those still exist?), but it gets me addicted to cooking.

I make dinner pretty much every night.  I also make lunch when I'm home.  I really, really like to eat good food.  I don't want to eat lousy food.  Consequently, unless I am away from home or trapped under something heavy, I will arrange to have a yummy home-cooked meal, usually with some produce from our farm share or from our backyard.

But then people start to expect that.  We got busy a couple of weekends ago and our house was full of teenagers and so meals consisted of pizza and donuts.  My family thought I was trying to kill them.  Seriously!  When I was a kid I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven, but my kids were begging for more vegetables.

I've done this to myself.  

It's not just the kids, either.  At a potluck at church someone spotted me walking in with store-bought cookies and was disappointed I hadn't made my usual double batch of chocolate chip.
If I started a food blog I'd have to get way better
at photographing food.

Apparently I am doomed to be a disappointment to those around me.

Even this blog, that I was so good at maintaining while recovering from surgery, is lucky to see one post per week lately.

Which is why I'm considering starting a food blog.  I know that I said I wasn't going to make this a food blog, but this would be a separate blog.  It may sound absurd to start another blog because I'm having trouble keeping up with the first.  However, the truth is that I'm meal planning, trying out recipes, and cooking all the time anyway.  Might as well blog about it, right?

So, would you be interested in a food blog from me? Do you have any idea what I should name it?  I'm terrible at thinking up names.

On a completely separate note, the new Grimm season starts Monday.  I'm jazzed, are you?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm..."A Piece of My Mind" or something involving "taste" or "morsels"? "Flavor of the Day?"

    ReplyDelete